Read Joshua 10:12-14 (NIV)
Joshua 10:12-14 (NIV)
12 On the day the Lord gave the Amorites over to Israel, Joshua said to the Lord in the presence of Israel:
“Sun, stand still over Gibeon,
and you, moon, over the Valley of Aijalon.”
13 So the sun stood still,
and the moon stopped,
till the nation avenged itself on its enemies,
as it is written in the Book of Jashar.
The sun stopped in the middle of the sky and delayed going down about a full day.
14 There has never been a day like it before or since, a day when the Lord listened to a human being. Surely the Lord was fighting for Israel!
How is it possible for God to “stop the sun” (Joshua 10:12-14) when the sun does not move in relation to the earth?
The people who wrote the Bible could not help but write from within the scientific, cultural and historical contexts of their times. Without remembering this, we open ourselves to serious misinterpretations of scripture and its significance.
Further questions to explore:
1. Did God stop the Earth’s rotation?
2. Did He NEED to stop the Earth to help Joshua?
3. How would “stopping the sun” help Joshua anyway?
CALL TO ACTION
1. Read the Bible: 3 Chapters; Think Time Period!!
2. Leave a comment about what you realize!!
3. Subscribe to “Truth on the Go!”
4. Click on the “Like” icon below!!
5. Check out our other videos!!
To find out more, email Steve at firstname.lastname@example.org